Saturday 30 June 2012

Saturday evening was the celebration of Emmanuel Cooper's life, by invitation at the Royal College of Art. I was honoured to have been invited by his partner, but most of all to have been able to consider him a friend. I decided to spend the afternoon in the British Museum, and visit Harrow Students at New Designers before meeting up with lots of people who cared about Emmanuel.

I think Museums are fantastic places to find a little pool of calm, looking at objects from across centuries helps me find a sense of proportion.

I tend to wander until I find something that captures my imagination... and then if I can absorb myself in looking, I might draw... and that will be it. I really like it if I can find something I have never really looked at before, and sometimes I want to look at something familiar that I like.

This time it was marble figures made 2,500 years ago. Stunning forms carved out marble.


With a beautiful lion, paws crossed in relaxed mode.



Hewn from great chunks of rock , these monumental statues were offered to Apollo as gifts at the sanctuary of Apollo in Didyma, South West Asia Minor in the 6th Century BC.








And then just as I was leaving I walked past a wonderful frieze of birds... chickens and cockerels.






I had to draw almost as I walked past... thinking... this is where I will return to next visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment